BACK IN THE DAY WITH LAKES DISTRICT MUSEUM

BACK IN THE DAY WITH LAKES DISTRICT MUSEUM

BACK IN THE DAY WITH LAKES DISTRICT MUSEUM 2000 1563 The Flyer Magazine

Can you help give our history a future?

The museum’s 1875 BNZ building and stables need earthquake strengthening.

As the only museum in the Queenstown Lakes District, we have been dedicated to archiving, curating and exhibiting our district’s treasures and stories since 1948.

We have educated generations of students through our education programmes and our art gallery has hosted 150 exhibitions since its establishment in 1992.

We are Arrowtown’s information centre, lost and found office, community meeting space, ticket sellers… and so much more.

We have successfully led numerous campaigns to protect and save a number of our district’s heritage buildings.

As a registered charity, the museum is self-funding through admissions, retail sales, grants and bequests. Many very generous volunteers and locals have contributed to the success of the museum during its 72 years of operation.

Successfully completing this project is essential to the survival of the 1875 BNZ building and to the survival of the Lakes District Museum.

The original building had decorative parapets and chimneys which were removed in the 1950s, and the current roof was added.

As part of the redevelopment work we are planning to restore the roof to its original appearance which is much more attractive. The building was designed by R.A. Lawson, the architect who also designed the Frist Church in Dunedin and Otago Boys’ High School. He also drew the plans for Larnach’s Castle.

1955 when the Lakes District Museum shifted to the old BNZ Building.
Photo: Lakes District Museum.

Arrowtown’s historic BNZ Building, circa 1910, now an integral part of the Lakes District Museum.
Photo: Lakes District Museum.

Lakes District Museum Logo